Thursday, October 12, 2006

Comfortably Numb

I'm learning that a big part of being a parent is about discovering who your children are. The other day I learned something new about my youngest. It turns out she likes the music of Pink Floyd.

I was working from home one day this week. Taleena and the two older kids were up in town for a few hours and the baby was asleep in her room, thus allowing me to get a some uninterrupted work done. For a little background music I put on a Pink Floyd concert the TiVo had captured and then got down in to my pile of spreadsheets and project schedules.

About 90 minutes later I heard the telltale babbling from the girl's room that told me Hope was awake from her nap. I went in and got her out of bed, letting her toddle out to the front room. The TV was still playing the concert and she stopped dead in her tracks. The stage lights flickered across the screen and mellow guitars filled the room with sound.

Hope promptly sat down in front of the screen (not something she is want to do) and watched the show for a full 10 minutes, looking away long enough to check over her shoulder and make sure I was still in the room. The magic moment was over when they broke away from the music to show more of the "beggar TV" (a.k.a. pledge week on PBS). She got up and asked me for a banana then ran off to find new ways to keep herself entertained.

Maybe I'll get her a little Dark Side Of The Moon t-shirt for her birthday.

No comments: