Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Production vs Development

I was asked on Monday morning by a co-worker "So what have we learned about making changes to a production server?" He was making a joke but he had a point. I should have known better than to start messing around with a server that is up and running.

I took the comment to heart and last night built up a second computer to use as a development server. This will allow me to ask questions like "What happens when I do this?" without destroying several weeks worth of work.

As I mentioned in my previous post I have set PHP-Nuke aside in favor of a different CMS (web serving application). What that means to you is that the new website will have a cleaner and more professional look. It also means that I should have the photo gallery up with less hair pulling than I was experiencing while working on it under the old site.

Stay tuned web surfers; it may be low tide now but the surf will be coming up soon.

No comments: