Sunday, October 17, 2004

What's in a name?

Why the title Life On A Pacific Island? Simple, that’s where I live; on an island in the Pacific.

Okay technically it is not really in the Pacific. Truth be told it’s in the Puget Sound (that’s basically Seattle for those who don’t know). But the sound feeds directly in to the ocean and since we are at the north end and just a few miles away by water to the Pacific I figure its close enough.

I considered other titles before settling on this one.

A Puget Home Companion, with the greatest of apologies to Garrison Keillor, was my first choice but I didn’t think I could mimic Keillor’s narrative voice well enough to do a title like that justice.

Next I considered Notes From A Small Island. I really liked that title and then I remembered why. It's the name of a book by Bill Bryson about some of his adventures in the UK. A great read by the way.

I thought about calling it Geek-A-Day but I knew that would never work. First of all I was sure that some other geek somewhere was probably already using it. Secondly Anything-A-Day automatically implies regular updates on far to frequent a basis for my liking. It’s just too much pressure to put on my self. It’s that same logic the keeps me out of a gym by they way.

In the end I settled on the title I did mainly because I liked it. The words roll of the tongue well enough and that makes it easy to tell people about. It hints at the paradise we tend to think of when we think of when somebody mentions Tahiti or Hawaii. And as you will find in the entries to come that while my island does not share the tropical beauty of those places in its' own way it still offers up some of the same idyllic life.

No comments: